COVID-19 Updates

May 20, 2020

Dear Friends and Shipmates,

Two weeks ago, the governor of Maine outlined her phased reopening of Maine’s economy.  We are still sorting out the details, getting clarifications, and asking what it all means for us.  The governor insists that the timeline put forth is “fluid” depending on progress made against COVID-19 and the available data.  This seems to be true as some restrictions have already been eased weeks earlier than initially laid out in the Plan.

This is what we know so far.  We cannot sail in Phase One and Two which includes May and June.  We have notified all guests who were booked for June.

Boat excursions and boat charters are allowed to resume in July as part of Phase Three.  However, the 14-day quarantine for out-of-state visitors will remain in effect.  This means that visitors from out of state must quarantine for 14 days once they get to Maine before going to stores, restaurants, attractions, and, presumably, sailing on a windjammer.  However, the governor’s office has clearly told us over and over again NOT to cancel any reservations, plans or events until the last minute because they are hoping that soon they can announce an alternative to the 14-day quarantine.

The governor’s reasoning for the 14-day quarantine is that it is the best tool we have at the moment to keep the people of Maine safe from out-of-state transmission.  Some alternatives being explored are testing, random screenings, random temperature taking, and providing affidavits of testing for out-of-state tourists wishing to vacation in Maine.

We are still seven weeks from our first trip in July, and we are hopeful an alternative solution will be announced.  If you have a reservation with us in July or August, we encourage you to hang with it a bit longer if you can.  If you’d rather not, we would of course understand.

In Phase Four, which is September, all restrictions will be eased.  Barring a setback, it looks like we can sail in September and October, still gorgeous months for sailing. We may be able to sail sooner if an alternative to the 14-day quarantine for out-of-state visitors is lifted.

As they say, time will tell.  This will be our most challenging year in business yet, and we look to our guests who believe in what we do to get us through. Taking a credit for a cruise later in the season or in 2021 or 2022 helps us live to sail another year.  You can already start planning ahead because the 2021 schedule is here, on our website, under schedule and rates!  

Be well.  Be kind to one another.

Captain Dennis and Candace

April 4, 2020

Dear Friends and Shipmates,

We have made the hard decision to push back the start of our season to June 7. Considering the current state of affairs and the additional logistics of keeping the crew safe during fit out, we thought it would be prudent. We are still optimistic about sailing in June and are not making any changes to June’s schedule.

With this change, we are, again, still two months away from our first sail, and no one is within six weeks of sailing for another month. Nonetheless, some of you have written with your concerns and we understand completely. If you feel you must not wait to see how the future unfolds and need to cancel, we are gently suggesting a reschedule instead for two reasons. First, opting for credit instead of cancelling means 100% of your money paid goes toward a future cruise and you do not lose a 3% handling fee. Second, and we speak with all honesty here, taking a credit would be an incredible help with what will undoubtedly be a tough year for small businesses in tourism like ours. We are extending credit for not just the rest of this season, but for two additional years. You can choose a cruise in 2021 or 2022 too!

Note that the new reservation policy is still in effect: the $300/person deposit is deferred until May 1 on all new reservations. We have taken a few new reservations under this policy, and we have also heard from several guests with words of support and encouragement. Thank you! We appreciate you hanging in there with us as we wait patiently for better days that are most certainly coming!

Fair winds,
Captain Dennis and Candace

March 24, 2020

Dear Friends and Shipmates,

We know many of you have concerns about planning vacations and travel while the coronavirus pandemic continues to develop.  Please know that we are keeping a weather eye on the ever-evolving situation and share your concerns as we monitor developments.

Currently, we are optimistic that our 2020 sailing schedule will proceed as planned and we are still taking reservations (see new reservation policy below). Spring is here and we will begin getting Angelique ready for the season which is still 2 months away. 

We understand times are uncertain and no one knows exactly when things will return to normal.  We can say without a doubt that better days are coming, and we will be ready to take you on a sailing adventure of a lifetime when it’s safe to do so.

What we are doing about the pandemic
We cannot control the wind, but we can adjust our sails:

Here’s a reminder of our regular cancellation policy:  All cancellations need to be in writing. Cancellations outside of 6 weeks from the cruise date will be given a refund minus a 3% handling fee. Cancellations made within 6 weeks of the cruise date will be issued a refund only if the berths can be filled. In that case, a refund will be issued minus a $50 cancellation fee and a 3% handling fee. We highly recommend trip insurance, but ask very specific questions about your concerns regarding this pandemic when purchasing coverage. Trip insurance is available through Allianz Travel Insurance or through CSA Travel Services

No one is within 6 weeks of a sailing trip at this time. We will continue to monitor the situation and will revise our cancellation policy by mid-April based on the most up-to-date information.

Should we have to cancel your trip, you would get your choice of a credit for a trip in the future or a full refund without the handling charge.

We will keep this webpage updated with any changes to our policies and trip departures in response to the rapidly changing COVID-19 virus.

New Reservation Policy: When this is over, we’ll want nothing more than to calm our frazzled nerves with a carefree summer sail; but, at this point, the future is uncertain. We understand. Therefore, we’ve decided to defer the $300/per person deposit until May 1 on all new reservations. Simply call us and let us know you’d like to go, we’ll hold your spot, and not charge the deposit until May 1.

We trust that most guests share our optimism for the sailing season to commence as planned. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Thank you for understanding that we are a small business doing our best to adapt to these changing times while keeping the health and safety of our family, crew, and guests our highest priority.